Tuesday 30 April 2013

Ten Minute Feedback



For our ten minute feedback I wasn’t expecting a smooth ride because of everything that had gone on and the fact that in the end we had to do a completely new edit in just over a day.
For starters the feedback we received was quite varied as some tutors liked it and thought it was amusing but some didn’t think we had achieved what we’d set out to.

One of the main things we wanted feedback on was the YouTube video clip we'd used because at first we had it broken up into smaller clips and dotted about in the film which we thought looked a bit weird then we decided to have it as one long clip but we thought it might be a bit too long. The reason I left it long is because I felt it was good for showing Tango's antics that we didn't manage to film and you also saw him getting into trouble and being walked out by the stewards. In the end the consensus was that it was too long which I agreed with and I think I should have started it later and finished it earlier because it still would have got the same message across. 

Another main point for consideration was that we didn't show enough of Tango being controversial and we didn't hear enough negative views on him it all seemed to be quite good things being said about him. I agreed with this but was a bit annoyed because I did keep saying that I wanted to get vox-pops of Sheffield Wednesday fans and  another rival team like Sheffield Utd or maybe even Wolverhampton (where he's actually from). I had already tweeted Sheffield Weds fans on twitter and got back quite a few negative responses so I knew we would get a mixed bag if we were to go out there and record them either with the camera or just sound.
Something that got mentioned when screening our film was the fact we'd taken a swear word out, which was actually not deliberately done because I agreed with Joe that it was a good thing to have in there because it showed him at his worse and would've been quite controversial. I think when me, Paul and Luke re-edited it it must have been left out but we did not do it deliberately to self-censor ourselves or anything like that. 

I think that if we had followed Tango for a few months like Chris said, we would have been maybe able to get more footage of him acting up but the matches we went to he was just shouting and singing so there's nothing we could've done about that. I did hear that he was more boisterous at away games and I actually managed to get permission to film at my home town of Peterborough when they played Wednesday but it was the weekend before the deadline so would have been pushing it, especially now knowing how up against it we were. When I first planned the schedule in my head I was hoping for a fine cut to be done about a week-2 weeks before the deadline giving the sound editor/designer plenty of time to edit and also if we got any better/more footage we could've easily put it in but this did not happen.

Some tutors pointed out we didn't show enough basic information about Tango like for instance why did he support Sheffield Wednesday and not his home town of Wolverhampton. We did actually interview him saying this and I can only say that we either didn't use it because he was saying it in a very unclear way (which he did a lot) or because the fact that we had to re-edit the whole ten minute in about a day we just simply missed it out which would be a shame if this is the case.

Another problem was with the sound for the Steve Lambarth (Wednesday fan) interview. On the day of filming I did the Marantz recording for it but for some reason the camera sound was used instead and I think this is because we maybe didn't know where it was, possibly it was on Joe's hard drive or Jacob had it I'm not sure but this is disappointing because we definitely had good usable sound for it so I hope it won't affect the sound operators marks.

Overall most of the feedback given didn't come as much of a shock to me I just think it's a bit of a shame we got such a lot of negative criticism when actually at the beginning and pretty much most of the way through we were very organised. We did have obvious problems with the editor but I don't think everything can be blamed on that because I think as a director I should have thought more about what we needed to include in the film to get across a more stronger view of Tango and also made sure we went and got it. Me and Paul would like to continue with this project though as we have been very passionate about it so we go out and try to get vox-pops and possibly more interviews including from a voice of authority and we will also re-edit it taking into account the feedback we got.



No comments:

Post a Comment