Wednesday 6 March 2013

Third Shoot - Monday 4/3 Wolverhampton


For our third shoot me, Paul, Luke and Jacob had arranged to go to Tango's home town Wolverhampton to interview him at work and at home. They went to collect the equipment and I drove to the Hubs car park to meet them.
We arrived a bit early which was good as I wanted to go and get some shots of the Wolves stadium to use as establishing shots and also cutaway when we ask Tango about why didn't he choose to support his home team.










We then drove to Hills Coaches which is the coach company that Tango manages. While here we did an interview him in his office, I noticed there was a Wednesday Owl teddy in the office so I asked Tango to put it on his desk so we could see it in the shot as I thought it was a nice touch. We did the interview from two different angles and distances so it gives Joe something to cut between and will make it a bit more interesting visually. When I was watching Soccer AM I noticed they do this a lot when interviewing someone - they will cut from a front view to a side view continually which gives it a bit of pace and makes it a bit more edgy than just one static shot. After the interview I told Jacob to get some close ups of certain things in the office like the owl, his mobile phone which had a Wednesday cover, the calendar of which he makes reference to when talking and also he mentioned his company provided coaches for the Brazilian Olympic team and there was a picture of this as well. The close ups are to be used as cutaways during the interview.



We also got lots of cutaways of the premises and the coaches coming in and out. While Jacob and Luke were off getting these me and Paul were having a chat with him and it seemed like he was saying a lot of interesting stuff off of camera, for example one of the questions we asked was had he been in trouble with the police which he seemed to dodge a bit but outside he told us that he was arrested once for going on to the Dom Valley stadium track and running on it but that in the end he was released because there were no signs saying not to go on it and also he didn't go anywhere near the pitch or players. I asked if he would say this on camera for us but he said he didn't want to which was a shame as I said it wasn't that bad of a story.






Tango then kindly offered to leave work so we could go back to his to interview him on more personal things. When we arrived there he took us straight to his games room which was blue and white (Wednesday club colours) with a big flag on the wall, a fruit machine, dart board, SWFC clock with Tango bought for his 50th from his wife, SWFC mugs, SWFC hat etc so it was a really good setting for the interview. We did the interview on the sofa and we had to use a bit of lighting just to brighten up his face a bit, the only thing I'm a bit worried about is the shadow his head was casting on the wall behind I hope it looks ok on camera. After we all felt the interview went quite well as he seemed to relax a bit more a tell us some stories after me and Paul had coerced him a bit. I also wished afterwards though that we had taken two cameras and filmed from two different angles like before as I didn't want to re-shoot as the interview was so good and natural to do it again I felt you would lose all that.









Again I asked Jacob to get some separate close up shots of things in the room and I asked Tango if he would take us into the room and talk a little bit about the things of interest or with a story. This had to be done handheld though so I hope it doesn't turn out too shaky. I asked Tango if he would take his top off (in front of the flag) and take us through his Sheffield Wednesday tattoos.


I asked Tango if he had any photos he said he had loads but unfortunately he said they were upstairs or in the loft somewhere so I don't think he wanted to go searching for them as he had to get back to work and I didn't want to push it.
We then got a natural shot of him making a cup of tea in the kitchen (I noticed a SWFC mug in his games room so asked if he could use that) and then as one last shot I asked if he could sit on the sofa watching TV and stroke the dogs (I assumed they were his wife's as they were quite small with pink bobbles in their fur) I thought this would be quite a nice shot as he quite a big bloke and is known for taking his top off and shouting and swearing so I thought this would show him in a gentler light and would possibly be a nice shot to end the 10 minute documentary on.



No comments:

Post a Comment